A journal of my journey to get my music out into the world

Friday, April 29, 2005

This is why...

This is why, even though I created this blog in January 2004, I haven’t posted anything in it until now… I haven’t been writing anything to post about!

Ok… that’s not entirely true… I like to exaggerate. Over the past month I’ve worked on more songs than I have the previous five years. But I haven’t done anything tonight… and that’s what counts for right now.

I’ve gotten into the habit of writing on the subway to and from work. That’s been working out great. At least I’m putting time into lyric writing. That gives me almost a whole hour a day! It’s amazing what that will do for creativity and inspiration. Plus, if you're as obsessed and crazy as I am, you’ll take out your songs as soon as you walk out the front door waiting for the elevator. That way, on the walk to the train you can get the brain warmed up!

But since my time to write music for my songs is limited to evenings after my second job… or after doing bills and e-mails on non-second job nights… this is the time… right now… that I should have my guitar in hand. Ok, again… maybe I’m a bit obsessed. But NOT writing hasn’t gotten my songs out there yet. I’ve been trying that method for 18 years! It’s that little bit each day that makes the difference. It’s creating the good habit of lyric writing during the day and music writing at night on a continual, daily basis that makes the difference. I did have that habit two weeks ago... where did it go?

What’s the block? What’s stopping me from working? Other than I went to bed at 2:00 a.m. two nights in a row and I think I should get some sleep. I’m feeling stuck… but I know that’s not the truth. I know as soon as I pick up the guitar something will come out. I just need to pick it up. What I think it is, is that there’s too much work involved in cleaning off my recording area so I can plug everything in and getting it up and running. If it was easier to plug in and go, I might do it more often. Ok… that’s on the top of the list now. File away the junk that’s in the way and make the recording more accessable. Actually, I think I’ll do that now. Even if I don’t record, at least I made a step in the right direction. That's no excuse for not writing... but it's the one I'm using tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home